My husband told me that this is the BEST chili he has ever had... and, it IS really good! John Deere Mom made a blog post about her Award Winning Chili recipe, and since I tried it and it was REALLY good I thought I would share the recipe, too!
You brown the meat, then add the tomatoes (1 can diced and 1 can of tomato sauce), beans (kidney and baked beans), onion, salt, garlic powder, chili powder and crushed red pepper. John Deere Mom added red and green peppers to her chili, we are not pepper fans so I left those out. Cook at medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once the chili has cooked about 30 minutes, transfer it to a 13 X 9 baking dish. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese on top.
In a separate bowl, add 2 cups of Jiffy corn muffin mix. (That's just about 2 boxes.) Add creamed corn, sugar and milk. Mix the corn muffin mixture well. Pour the corn muffin mixture evenly over the top and bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.
And, ta-da! Here is the sweet red chili with sweet cornbread on top! I have never made a chili with baked beans in it, but I really love the flavor that the baked beans added to the chili. YUM! Thanks John Deere Mom, I will be making this again sometime soon!
Here is the recipe:
Cornbread Chili Bake
Green and red pepper (optional)
1 can diced tomatoes (16 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (16 oz)
Kidney Beans (16 oz) - I did rinse these
Baked Beans (16 oz) undrained
Crushed red pepper
Jiffy Corn Mix (2 boxes)
Can of sweet cream corn
1. Brown 2 lbs. ground beef with a little onion, salt, and pepper.
2. Transfer the meat to a large pot and add one large onion, chopped.
3. Add 1/2 C each green pepper and red pepper.
4. Add 1 can (16 oz.) diced tomatoes and 1 can (16 oz) tomato juice.
5. Add both 16 oz. cans of beans, kidney and baked
6. Add 1 1/2 tsp. salt.
7. Add 1 TBS garlic powder.
8. Add 1 TBS chili powder.*
9. Add 1 TBS crushed red pepper.*
10. Stir the mixture well and cook over medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
11. In a separate bowl, add 2 cups of Jiffy corn muffin mix. (That's just about 2 boxes.)
12. Add one can of creamed corn.
13. Add 1/2 C sugar.
14. Add 1/2 C milk.
15. Mix the corn muffin mixture well.
16. Once the chili has cooked about 30 minutes, transfer it to a 13 X 9 baking dish.
17. Sprinkle 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese on top.
18. Pour the corn muffin mixture evenly over the top and bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.
Join Swagbucks to earn Amazon giftcards!
Earn Amazon giftcards by filling out surveys on Opinion Outpost!
Another fun and fast way to earn Amazon giftcards, Superpoints!