Wednesday, September 28, 2011
Baked Spaghetti with a special secret ingredient. Yumm-o!
I really love baked spaghetti, and when I saw John Deere Mom post her baked spaghetti recipe on her blog... I had to try it! It was delicious! Can you pick out which ingredient is the 'secret' ingredient that made it extra delicious? Cream cheese!
First, cook the noodles
Meanwhile, cook the sausage (she insists you get Sage sausage) with onion and a sprinkle of Italian seasoning.
Drain. Then add milk and CREAM CHEESE.
Reserve 1/3 cup of the spaghetti sauce. Pour the remaining sauce into an 8X8 baking dish. Mix the spaghetti into the sauce.
Add cream cheese/sausage mixture to top of spaghetti
Add remaining sauce
Cover with mozzarella cheese and more sprinkles of Italian seasoning
Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.
The end result? A delicious baked spaghetti! I also toasted some garlic bread from Trader Joe's, but it would also be good with a crispy green salad.
Here is the recipe...
John Deere Mom's Baked Spaghetti
3/4 lb. spaghetti
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 lb. sage sausage
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (I omitted this)
1/4 cup chopped onion
8 oz. block cream cheese
1/4 cup milk
2 C shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Boil 3/4 lb. spaghetti according to package directions
2. Meanwhile, brown the sausage with the onion, green pepper, and Italian seasoning.
3. Once the sausage is brown, drain. Then add the cream cheese and 1/4 C milk. Cook over medium-low heat until combined.
4. Reserve 1/3 cup of spaghetti sauce. Pour the remaining sauce into an 8X8 baking dish. Gradually add the cooked spaghetti to the sauce and mix well.
5. Then spread the sausage/cream cheese mixture on top.
6. Pour the reserve spaghetti sauce on top of this.
7. Top it with the mozzarella cheese and a dash of Italian seasoning.
8. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.