Tuesday, June 11, 2013
Two Fun and Tried Picnic Recipes
Today I am going to share with you two fun and tried picnic recipes that I made this past weekend. Brian and I decided we wanted to head down to Forest Park in St. Louis to see the lovely (and free!) Twelfth Night play at the Shakespeare in the Park Festival. Since a concert in the park deserves a lovely spread of picnic foods and drinks, I decided to try out a couple of new recipes.
Every good picnic warrants a trip to the grocery store to buy many unneeded items... such as these super long straws! I shared this photo on IG and wrote, "DUDES. Found straws big enough for a wine bottle!" Ha! Just kidding... I actually got them to surprise the kids on July 4th. And, you'll see I am wearing my Disney Wine & Dine half marathon shirt, too! lol!
I decided to try Chicken Enchilada Dip Roll-Ups that I found on Pinterest (hey, they have rotel!) and the Lemon Bars I found on Love of Family & Home (I want to try ALL of her recipes!).
Here I am getting ready to try the Chicken Enchilada Dip Roll-Ups, a quick photo of the lemon bars at home and our picnic spread. YUM! I was in charge of the roll-ups and lemon bars, Brian was in charge of the drinks, cheese and crackers (and the beautiful pink rose!). If you follow me on IG you saw the picnic spread photo, if you don't you need to follow me! We bought two wines, a blackberry wine from Crown Valley in St. Genevieve and a Mark West Pinot Noir (my favorite red wine right now!).
And, if your mouth is watering (mine is!), here are the recipes for the Chicken Enchilada Dip Roll-Ups and the Lemon Bars:
Chicken Enchilada Dip Roll-Ups
This recipe will make 1.5 dozen tiny roll ups.
8 oz. package cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
1/2 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
3/4 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
cayenne pepper to taste
1.5 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 of a 10 oz. can Rotel tomatoes
1 package burrito sized tortillas
1. Mix cheeses together until well blended.
2. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
3. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
4. Place one heaping spoonful onto tortilla.
5. Spread to edges using a metal spatula.
6. Roll and cut into slices.
Ingredients for Crust:
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) frozen butter
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose
Ingredients for Filling:
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/3 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Combine flour, sugar and salt. Mix well. Grate butter on large holes of box grater. Add to flour mixture; combine well until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press into 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Bake 20 minutes.
3. Combine filling ingredients. Whisk well. Pour over warm crust and bake 20 minutes or until filling is set. Let cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.