First, a big thank you to Darci, April, Christina and Natasha) for the Five on Friday link up party! The last time I did a 5 on Friday post was several weeks ago and it landed up being my most popular post in 2013! Seriously! So, if you want to check it out still here is the link: Five Ways to Wear a Plaid Shirt.
Let’s get started with my Friday FIVE:
1. Winter Get Away to Kansas City and Great Wolf Lodge. After getting TWELVE inches of snow this last week in St. Louis, I am ready for a little winter get away… and, since we have never visited Great Wolf Lodge yet as a family, we will be headed to Kansas City to check it out very soon! If you have taken a vacation there, I would love to hear all about it! We will only be staying for two nights, but I am looking forward to the heated lazy river ride and all of the other indoor water excitement that they have to offer. We splurged a little on the room and the kids have their own bunkbed in a tent with their own flat screen television! I’ve also heard they have an ice cream machine on every floor, the kids are going to be running high on sugar. Also, they have a SPA (a grown up spa and a spa for girls!) and if we have time I’d love to get a pedi done with Autumn.
While we are in Kansas City, we also plan to hit up the Lego attraction that is inside and has rides, etc. AND I’ve heard that next to the Lego attraction is a little diner called Fritz’s Railroad Restaurant. They have a train that runs around the perimeter of the restaurant and then lowers down a platform to give you your food. I was checking out their menu and it looks very kid friendly… and, they offer a burger topped with hashbrowns, onions and cheese. Am I weird or does that just sound AWESOME? I am so ordering that… and, yes I totally scope out the menu prior to even visiting any new restaurant!
2. Trying some of Pioneer Woman’s Recipes from her New Cookbook. For Christmas, Brian got me Pioneer Woman’s new cookbook: The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays. This is the thickest cookbook she has published as of yet and I love all of the recipes in it! I have tried her green resolution smoothie (see HERE) and this weekend is Brian’s birthday and I plan to cook him up her Cherry Cake with a Sticky Cherry Sauce. I was looking online to see if she had posted the recipe to this cake yet and I think I actually found THE exact recipe, but she calls it Cherry Cake Pudding. Anyway, my husband LOVES cherries, so when I saw this recipe in the book I KNEW I had to make it for him. It is under the “Valentine’s Day’ menu section if you have the book. YUM! I am sure it will be DEEElicious!
3. FMS Photo a Day. In December, I decided to try out FMS Photo a Day for the first time and it was a lot of fun. If you don’t already follow me on Instagram, click HERE so you can start following me now! It is sort of an adventure, because each day you take a photo of something different. It is more fun when you have friends that join in and you can see the photos they post for the same flavor of the day.
4. This Month’s Freezer Meal. Guess what Monday is? This Month’s Freezer Meal! If you have been around here for awhile, I share a new Freezer Meal on the second Monday of every month. Yep! The last two months I have shared breakfast meals (well, breakfast works for any meal) with you, such as the ones below… BUT, this month I am planning on sharing a perfect and warm winter DESSERT that freezes perfectly! So, be sure to stop by again on Monday to you can check out this dessert.
5. Valentine’s Day AND Big Surprise! Are you ready for Valentine’s Day yet? I am!! Ok, so I know it may be a little too early to start the Valentine’s crafts, but I have had this idea for this Valentine’s Day wreath in my head for awhile. I have made a burlap bubble wreath, but I love how the burlap lays on this heart shaped wreath and it is DIPPED in gold, so what is not to love? I also made my first mini bunting and I am I am afraid I am bunting obsessed… HOWEVER, I am also looking forward to Valentine’s Day for ANOTHER reason… one that I uhh, can’t mention why just yet. I really am not one that is good for keeping secrets, BUT… sorry, this is all I can say… it is going to be the best Valentine’s Day ever!
Happy Weekend Friends! If you are suffering from the polar vortex… lets hope that it all melts this weekend! Here are a few extra photos (for your pleasure) from our polar vortex experience:
TWELVE inches of snow in St. Louis! And, too cold for the kids to go outside… no snowman this time! 🙁
Beautiful snowy cobweb.
I have lived in this house for almost 11 years and I have NEVER seen ice form on the outside of the door… AND, we keep the temp at 73 in our house!
Me gearing up to get out in NEGATIVE degree temps.
The roads looked like this for DAYS after the storm!