How is everyone hanging in there with the corona virus being everywhere and interrupting our daily life as we know it? My kids are out of school now till they reevaluate it April 3rd. This is SO crazy, especially with it being my son’s 8th grade year and I’m sad to think he will be missing his 8th grade class trip to Chicago the first week of May (no word on that yet). 🙁 So, today I thought I’d share some Healthier Dessert Choices, ones that have clean ingredients and packed with the essential nutrients we all need when we’re trying to stay healthy… yet curb our sweet tooth.
Before I share all of these Healthy Desserts, I wanted to share some tips on how to stay healthy during the Corona Virus:
- Whole Foods are the Key! Avoid sugary sweets, processed foods and try to enjoy healthy fruits and vegetables, oats, nuts, etc. Avoid foods with saturated fats, lots of cholesterol, sodium and sugars and fuel your body with those micronutrients and fiber it needs!
- Try to exercise for 30-40 minutes 5 days a week. If you get your workout outdoors, even better! Try to aim for cardio or exercises that will get your heart rate up above 150 for at least 3 of these workouts. I do the FASTer Way to Fat Loss diet and workouts and it has really helped me stay healthy this year. HERE is my blog post on the program if you’re interested.
- Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Set up a bedtime routine and stick to it.
- Take your daily vitamin, especially if you feel you may be lacking in your diet.
- Try to reduce stress in your life.
- Watch and read all of these great tools on the FASTer Way to Fat Loss blog on how to prepare for the Corona Virus. There is a REALLY great Podcast/audio clip you can watch at the bottom of this blog post: Natural Ways to Stay Healthy during the Cold, Flu, and COVID-19 Season with Dr. Matt Ferenc. I personally listened to this 28 minute Podcast and it is GOLD with lots of great tips on staying healthy. I highly recommend it.
Now, let’s get started on some Healthy Dessert Choices:
This 3 Ingredients (No Sugar!) Banana Chia Pudding has ONLY 3 ingredients! Bananas, chia seeds (just google these magic babies HERE… they’re SO healthy!) and coconut milk. There are so many recipes out there for chia puddings and they taste good, are easy to whip up and are delicious! I get my chia seeds at Trader Joe’s and I always add 1-2 tablespoons to my smoothies, yogurts, etc. They balloon up and taste kind of like tapioca!
When creating this post, I knew I wanted to include a healthy cookie dough recipe, such as this Clean Eating Cookie Dough. This one only has 1.8 grams of sugar and 3 grams of fat. Not bad, eh? It does have egg whites in the recipe, but if you buy pasteurized egg whites you’ll be ok.
Not long ago, I saw a chocolate hummus at Trader Joe’s and I’ve been intrigued by it… when I saw this The Easiest Dark Chocolate Hummus recipe on Pinterest, I knew I wanted to try it! Just serve it with fresh strawberries and slices of banana for an indulgent and healthy treat.
Do you LOVE cinnamon rolls, but feel bad when you stuff yourself silly with them (because, who can stop at just one). Try this Healthy 1 Minute Cinnamon Roll Mug Cake to satisfy that morning craving. The frosting for this cake is coconut butter thinned out with liquid and drizzled over.
Craving something sweet, but don’t want to avoid ice cream? Try this 3 Ingredient Pineapple Sorbet with several different options on making it… I would do pineapple, water and honey, but you can do pineapple juice instead of water and sugar instead of honey if you’re not being AS picky. OR try THIS 100% Banana (and a little splash of milk) ice cream!
I hope you enjoy these Healthier Dessert Options to satisfy your sweet tooth on days when you’re trying to stay on track. Less sugar is always better and you can truly enjoy these treats and fuel your body with some great fruits, beans and seeds and micronutrients.